Skip to main content

Be Batman

I'm just going to be honest with you. We have been lied to. We have been lied to and we are still being lied to, every single day.

Oh don't get me wrong, bad shit is going to happen to us. Bad shit is going to happen to the people we care about, stuff that is simply unavoidable. Someone is going to lose their job. Someone is going to get sick. Someone is even going to die. These are the things that happen to us human beings in the course of a normal life. No matter how much we sleep, how few carbs we eat and how much meditation we do, we are going to have pain and we are going to have to go through it. There is no avoiding that.

But this other stuff? This stuff someone tried to convince us was normal?
It is bullshit. All of it.

The part about your body falling apart. About you not being able to do what you used to. About your sore back and aching knees being just "a natural part of aging." About how "everyone is tired all the time." All lies. Your back hurts because you spend all day sitting at a computer and your knees hurt because you never use your damn legs. You are tired all the time because everything you eat comes in a box and everything in that box is full of sugar.

The only real reason your body can't do what it could do when you were 25 is that you have given it permission to stop.

Don't feel bad, I used to believe it too. But then I stopped listening to that crap about exercise meaning a miserable hour on the treadmill that we "all hate but have to do." Exercise is play. It is dancing. It is running, outside, because you love to run, not because your Fitbit tells you to. It is grappling, basketball, climbing a mountain, anything that gets you off your ass with a damn smile. Stop believing those lies that men are only allowed to jog  slowly and lift weights and women to jog slowly and do yoga.

If you are going to run, run fucking marathons!

And all that crap about having to work a 9 to 5 job that you hate so that you can pay your mortgage or your rent or your cellphone bill? Normal, right? 

Wrong! Remember when we were six? And some teacher asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up? And I said a ballerina. Or an Olympian. Or a firefighter.

You said Batman.


Go be Batman! 

Of course we all have bills to pay. So if you have to work at Starbucks all day, at least when you get off work go be Batman. Go find some mats and play. Go to the courts and play. Go rent a studio and play. Get on a stage at an open mike somewhere and play.  Have kids to deal with? Take them with you! No one is better to play with than your kids. I know you think you are supposed to sit on the couch, open a beer and watch the game but that it only because you have forgotten how to be IN the game. Don't worry your son will remind you.

And you know how they convinced us that we are supposed to save our money for the big things? Like houses. Cars. Vacations. Instead of spending it on the little things like taxis, good sandwiches, glasses of wine.

Lies, all of it. Life IS the little things. Your two week vacation in Burmuda lasts for two weeks. Plus maybe a few minutes of reminiscing over Facebook posts a year later. Your life is what you do every single day! Your job. Your commute. Your friends. Your family. That is the stuff that actually matters. Spend your money on that.

Listen with all the bad stuff that is outside of our control, don't you think we should make some choices while we still can? 

Life is hard, ya'll. Its hard, and its sad, and its scary. But there is joy and beauty and peace and in order to notice all that you have to actually sit still for a moment. You have to pay attention. Otherwise, you'll miss it.

I know, I miss it all the time.

That crap that life is all about suffering until you can retire? It's bullshit. Life is not the vacations and the cars and remodeling your kitchen. It's the sound of coffee percolating and the smell of your kids hair and the taste of sweat on bare skin and the backseat of a taxi when it is pouring rain and your umbrella is broken and the feel of rocks on chalked up fingertips and it is love and it's tears and it is trying and failing and trying and failing and sometimes really really succeeding and you are missing it.

You are missing it.
YOU ARE MISSING IT!!!

Take an Uber to work.
Order the nicer wine.
Get up early and watch the sunset with your five year old. Better yet, give the nanny the day off and take your five year old to the zoo. Watch the gorillas. Remember how to be human.
Take a class on Tuesday
Take a class every Tuesday.
Take all the classes.
Finish that book. Start a new one.
Put your kid to bed. Smell her hair. Seriously, its awesome.
Sit on a park bench and listen to the sounds of dogs barking. Better yet, give the dog walker the day off and take your dog to the zoo. 
Be Batman.

Shut your phone off. Facebook is lying to us. The TV is lying to us. Our friends are lying to us.
Donald Trump is lying to us.
They all want us to think that this misery is normal because it makes it easier for them to stay on the couch.
Get off the couch.

You are not meant to be slowly crawling towards death.
You have just forgotten how to live.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it